Talented Introvert Looking for His Forever Home
Tony Porreco has an interesting problem. He is certifiably obsessed with Podcasts. He listens to them while he drives, while he eats, while he sleeps.
He’s spent his entire post-collegiate career getting boots-on-the-ground experience learning all of the technical know-how in audio engineering, learning how to capture the best possible audio and how to polish it into a final audio file.
He knows just how to make content that people actually want to listen to. Now he wants to turn this passion and technical chops into a full-time career.
It’s Tony’s #LifeMission to participate on projects that make an impact. For now, he’s making podcasts and audio for therapists, inspirational speakers, and attorneys-at-law under the banner of SoundGround Productions.
Often, his freelance business suffers more wane than wax. What’s more, he pines for a mentor to show him the ropes of creating content steeped in his deepest interest: investigative journalism.
He feels like he’s riding one horse with two asses. And no gosh-derned map.
He feels underemployed and unprepared to do anything about it. He knows he needs to be ready with both guns blazing, primed to pounce on the next big professional opportunity.
With audio engineering, podcasting know-how, established processes, and white glove service, in his toolkit, Tony needs the assets (and the ability) to throw his hat into the ring in a serious job search — while simultaneously generating freelance contracts. He requires an Online Presence that provides both HR managers and marketing managers with all they need to know in order to hire him.
Enter Rebecca (that’s me!)
- In Strategy Sessions we worked through the tough stuff and got to the bottom of Tony’s Ideal Customer. (Turns out it’s not a person at all, Tony’s ideal customer is the podcast itself.) We got hyper focused on and what he’s all about, creating compelling audio that people want to listen to. I uncover his Special Sauce as a sound chef, laying dialogue, sound effects, and unique music to create a cohesive story and engaging listening experience. We got clear on what he delivers (podcast production, onsite audio engineering, and co-hosting). And then we gave his special sauce a name: #braincandy. Then we explore two distinct courses of action to advance his career: market Sound Productions or go on the hunt for a job-job. We decide to get ready for both so we can we’re free to capture either/or at any time.
- In support of a total online makeover, we developed a distinct Brand Voice that spoke to Tony’s unique personality: quirky, introverted, and irreverent. His online persona needed to be in alignment with his style and swagger as co-host (and producer) of Hometown Sounds, the 7-year DC-based podcast highlighting the local music scene.
- Now it was time to channel that voice into all things online. We gave his LinkedIn profile a total makeover, we gave SoundGround Sounds a new one-page website, and totally revamped his resume. Complete with a customizable cover letter, Tony had everything he needed to back up any job application or cold call.
- Tony’s 6-month Marketing Plan plotted out the steps we would take in to reach goals, fill pipelines, and get hired (rinse and repeat).
- As freelance referrals finally started poppin’ (his reputation for a seamless Done4You man was finally taking root among DC law firms), we refined his products and services. We developed two new products, #PrePro, a podcast starter service that includes music selection, equipment recommendations, and initial tech setup; and , a turn-key package that produces a 5-episode podcast season. I developed a Sell Sheet for each service, making it easy AF for his current clients to recommend him. Add in a new referral program, Tony is bound to attract the kind of work he craves.
At the end of the day, Tony’s Freelance business was what developed traction in the marketplace.
And now, exit through the gift shop. If you’re reading this, you already have an idea for your own podcast. Don’t get stuck in a “Someday” mindset , Tony will hook you up and you’ll be broadcasting like a pro in no time. Get him on your radar (and on your payroll) and he’ll get you there: producing your very own podcast and generating compelling audio content that people actually want to listen to. Come on, you know you wanna.